Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy 2013!

Ok It's on. Well, I'm having a glass of wine later with the neighbours but after that THEN it's on. Fuck this shit and fuck my fat belly. I am in search of new delicious paleo recipes and I'm ready to spend my spare time either:

a) at the gym
b) cooking healthy, sustainable meals
c) crocheting or reading a new book

Last night we went out for dinner but before that I roasted a chicken for the week. It turned out fantastic. So much cheaper to just buy a whole chicken (Mennonite raised, hormone/antibiotic-free, btw) It was 15 bucks. Considering if you just want breasts its like 10 bucks for two, I'd say its a good deal. And all you really need to do is pop it in the oven. Here's what I did:

I didn't want the chicken sticking to the pan so I made a bed of carrots and onions. Simple.
I made a rosemary/garlic/salt butter which I smushed under the skin of the breasts (with my hands, I love it) and with the remaining I coated the rest of the chicken. Added more salt and pepper on top. The key to good chicken is salt. Ask Swiss Chalet.

The general rule is cook a whole chicken 20 minutes per pound at 375º. It was a 3 and something pounder so I cooked it for about 75 minutes +. Usually you crank the last 10 minutes to 450º so the skin crisps. But I forgot.

It turned out SOOOO good-best chicken yet. The onion/carrot wasn't meant for eating but they were caramelized in the fat and all nice and crispy, we ate them anyway. That fat juice was so tasty!

So we've got a whole chicken to have for lunches. I also made a creamy kale thing. It's just kale, moroccan spice blend, garlic and coconut milk. All in a sauce pan after the kale has wilted a bit. It turned out creamy and flavourful. Next time I'm making like two big bunches of it cuz kale shrinks down so much it's annoying.

Right now for new years day breakfast I have "egg muffins" in the oven. I lined each cup with half a piece of bacon, put some mushrooms/spinach in each pod. Cracked an egg in each, added salt, pepper, chives and paprika. Easy and I don't have to mind it while it cooks. I'll let you know how that turns out. I was inspired by a recipe someone posted on the "Just Eat Real Food" facebook page. It's not a recipe, there are no rules. Just put things together, no measuring. Chef Michael Smith styles.





Later in the day I made paleo pumpkin cookies. I know I know, why do this? Well I was in a baking mood, I was hungry and didn't wanna dig into chicken. Here was my recipe:

1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut shreds
1/2 tsp baking powder
handful chopped dates
1 tbsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 scoop protein powder
handful chopped walnuts
half container unsweeetened apple sauce

bake 400º for 20 min. They turned out great. Obv I ate like 6 of them.

Later on we went to the naybs for some wine and cheese. Last night of indulgence. "Monday" is a new day. Monday meaning Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment